- Science is both a body of knowledge and a process. In school, science may sometimes seem like a collection of isolated and static facts
listed in a textbook, but that's only a small part of the story. Just
as importantly, science is also a process of discovery that allows us to
link isolated facts into coherent and comprehensive understandings of
the natural world.
- Science is exciting. Science is a way of
discovering what's in the universe and how those things work today, how
they worked in the past, and how they are likely to work in the future.
Scientists are motivated by the thrill of seeing or figuring out
something that no one has before.
- Science is useful. The knowledge generated by science is powerful and reliable. It can be used to develop new technologies, treat diseases, and deal with many other sorts of problems.
- Science is ongoing. Science is continually refining
and expanding our knowledge of the universe, and as it does, it leads
to new questions for future investigation. Science will never be
- Science is a global human endeavor. People all over the world participate in the process of science. And you can too!
Taken from: http://undsci.berkeley.edu/article/whatisscience_01